ATLANTA, GA – December 2, 2020. Once again this holiday season, the Georgia Center for Nonprofits (GCN) joined nonprofits, philanthropic and for-profit partners, and individual Georgians by the thousands to lead a statewide generosity movement: GAgives on GivingTuesday.
From the beginning of early giving on November 2nd through December 1st, GivingTuesday, over $3.3 million was donated to our state’s nonprofits through the campaign’s official giving portal at GAgives.org, thanks to more than 17,000 individual donors – an increase of 45% over last year’s participation! In addition, the total number of donations on GAgives.org (nearly 20,000) was up 37% over last year, and more than 1,260 organizations benefited – 18% more than in 2019. (The full total for 2020, tallying gifts across all donation platforms, is still being calculated; watch for GCN’s follow-up announcement, coming soon.)
Dozens of organizations have also won a piece of the $270,000-plus in bonus funding made available through giving competitions sponsored by our partners (see below for the full list of GAgives sponsors). Winners are now listed on the GAgives.org results page, pending official validation.
Combined with our COVID-relief event this past spring, the GAgives movement has generated more than $4.56 million through GAgives.org, thanks to 27,823 donations, to help Georgia’s nonprofits in this year of incredible need.
“Where there is a need, there is a nonprofit, and right now there is more need than ever,” said GCN President & CEO Karen Beavor. “On December 1st, Georgians stepped up once again to make sure nonprofits will continue to be there, serving the needs of their neighbors. We couldn’t be more proud or thankful for everyone – everyday philanthropists, our partners and sponsors, and our nonprofits – who made this success possible.”
Since its launch in 2012, GAgives has served as the state’s biggest giving movement for 9 years in a row, galvanizing more than $44.78 million in donations and over 156,000 individual gifts. Designed, deployed, and managed by GCN for the direct benefit of our state’s nonprofits, the GAgives campaign is amplified by corporate and foundation sponsors, our media partners, and participating organizations, whose efforts and ingenuity always make an outsized impact.
GCN is honored to lead the state’s biggest giving movement, and proud to serve as the official state lead for GivingTuesday, a generosity campaign reaching all 50 states and more than 150 countries. Each year, the GAgives campaign adds new resources to help nonprofits understand emerging challenges and turn them into opportunities. In 2019, GAgives welcomed new platform provider Mightycause, giving the GAgives.org online donation platform a more powerful and user-friendly experience for nonprofits and donors alike.
And the giving tradition continues! Mark your calendars for next year’s GAgives on GivingTuesday: November 30, 2021.
Beyond funds raised, the GAgives initiative proves the power of collaboration among nonprofits, foundations, companies, governments, and individuals. We’d like to express our deepest appreciation for:
- Thousands of participating nonprofits, whose campaigns activated Georgians to support the causes they care most about – in funds donated and communications shared;
- Our generous prize sponsors Aprio, Arby’s Foundation, Brooks, McGinnis & Company, The Coca-Cola Foundation, Gas South, and Marshall Jones, motivating donors to take action with more than $270,000 in competition funding;
- Media partners 11 Alive/TEGNA Foundation and Atlanta & Co., Atlanta Business Chronicle, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Cox Media Group, Georgia News Network, iHeart Radio, and WSB-TV Family 2 Family, who covered nonprofit campaigners, provided expert advice, offered discounts on advertising, and more;
- Our gracious corporate and foundation partners, including Georgia’s Own Credit Union, Chick-fil-A Foundation, and Cox Enterprises, who provide critical support and promotion;
- The GivingTuesday team, whose partnership and vision strengthens our efforts to lead this global giving phenomenon for our state;
- GCN’s dedicated GAgives team, who have orchestrated this movement over the past eight years; and
- The countless businesses, civic leaders, and volunteers who contribute resources, expertise, and influence toward Georgia’s greater good on GivingTuesday and all year long.
“When Georgians support nonprofits, they directly influence the quality of life locally and across the state,” said Beavor. Beyond what nonprofits accomplish through their programs and services, Beavor also noted that the industry employs more than 277,000 statewide and often buys locally, making them a critical factor in local economies. “No matter how small, each gift makes a big difference to a local community. We are incredibly grateful for everyone who took part.”
Led by the Georgia Center for Nonprofits, GAgives on GivingTuesday aims to bring attention to the work and worth of the nonprofit sector. Since its founding in 2012, the GAgives movement has rallied 156,538 individual contributions and raised more than $44.78 million for nonprofits across Georgia that work tirelessly for positive and lasting change.
Launched by the 92nd Street Y in 2012 and housed in its Belfer Center for Innovation & Social Impact, GivingTuesday is a global movement inspiring people to take collaborative action for their local communities and contribute to the causes they believe in. The movement reaches millions of people, with campaigns and activities in all 50 states and 150 countries, throughout the year, culminating on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.