Welcome to GCN’s Orientation for Directors of Nonprofit Boards, free to all GCN members.
Serving on a nonprofit board can be challenging, and call on you to use a different set of skills from those you use in your professional career. This two-hour orientation will cover the roles and responsibilities of being on a nonprofit board, including the basic legal and fiduciary responsibilities, key annual obligations, expectations around fundraising, and how boards are changing to respond to the pandemic.
Join us for a lively “how-to” conversation on the fundamentals of nonprofit board service, what nonprofits expect from board members, and making the most of your time on the board.
- The board member job description: What your role on the board is
- Legal responsibilities, including duty of care, duty of loyalty, and duty of obedience
- Your fiduciary role and the basics of nonprofit finance (restricted and unrestricted money)
- Board fundraising and contribution expectations
- Definition of engagement
- Trends in boards
May 27, 2021
3:00 pm - 5:00 pm EDT
You will receive log-in information after registering for the course.
This program is free and exclusive to GCN member nonprofits. Member dues must be current when the meeting link is sent out the week of the session.
IMPORTANT: You must have a GCN.org account to register. You can create one here.
Want to register a board member who doesn't have an account? There are two ways:
• Ask them to create an account linked to your organization by using this form. (See this brief video for help.)
• OR someone at your organization with an existing account may register on their behalf by following these step-by-step instructions.
Questions? Contact us at [email protected] or 678-916-3080.